Why Use Obagi Nu Derm?
Obagi Nu Derm line of products are scientifically formulated prescription-strength professional skincare line that is designed to help correct and improve the appearance of premature skin aging, skin damage, hyperpigmentation, acne, and sun damage. It is the #1 physician dispensed skincare system in the world.
Check out our article on Obagi hydrate and Obagi Hydrate Luxe facial moisturizers to find out all the benefits they provide and why they are crucial for your skincare routine!
Skin Aging and It’s Solution
Skin aging is a natural process, but daily sun exposure can contribute to premature aging. Sun-damaged skin appears dull, with older, damaged cells accumulating due to slower skin cell turnover.
The Obagi Medical system helps transform the skin’s appearance by stimulating new cell growth with increased production of new collagen and elastin revealing younger, healthier-looking skin.
Skin Benefits With Obagi Products
Obagi Nuderm and Obagi C skin care is ideal for:
1. Acne & Blemishes
While acne is a common skin problem among teenagers, it can also affect adults well into their 30s and beyond. Depending on the severity of the condition, acne can be irritating and persistent and can leave unsightly blemishes on the skin.
2. Dry Skin
Dry skin may cause itching and flaking, and can leave your skin feeling tight and uncomfortable. Dry skin appears more often in the winter, but it can happen any time during the year and may be caused by a variety of factors, including hot baths and showers, harsh soaps, and sun exposure.
3. Eye Area
Your eyes say a lot about you, and if you don’t take care of the skin around the eyes, it can make you look older and tired. The delicate skin around the eyes is much thinner than the skin on the rest of your face, and as you get older, the tissues and muscles supporting your eyes weaken and may start to sag. Without good skincare targeted around the eye area, fine lines and wrinkles, dark circles, under-eye bags, and puffiness may begin to appear right before your eyes.
4. Lines & Wrinkles
As one of the most common signs of skin aging, lines and wrinkles may begin to appear in your 20s or 30s and make you look and feel older. With age, your skin naturally becomes less elastic and drier, causing lines and creases. But sun overexposure and other environmental factors such as smoking and stress can also contribute to the appearance of wrinkles.
5. Loss of Firmness
As you age, collagen and elastin production slows, causing your skin to sag. While aging is the main contributor to sagging skin, overexposure to the sun can also cause your skin to lose its firmness and elasticity.
6. Prevention & Protection
It’s never too early to start taking care of your skin. One of the most important things you can do for your skin is to help protect it from sun damage and other environmental conditions and take a proactive approach to prevent future skin problems before they arise.
If you have sensitive skin, your skin may be easily irritated and react to certain products with redness, burning, or itching. With sensitive skin, proper and gentle skincare is important, especially when choosing skincare products.
8. Signs of Aging
Skin changes are among the most visible signs of aging. But there are also a variety of factors that can affect the appearance of your skin, including environmental conditions, genetics, stress, and diet. Fortunately, with good skincare and smart lifestyle choices, you can help minimize the visible appearance of aging for healthy-looking skin that stands the test of time.
9. Skin Recovery
As the largest organ in your body, your skin covers and protects your body. When there is damage or trauma to the skin, proper care is important while it is healing, especially after a laser, peel, or plastic surgery.
Good skin texture is even, smooth, and healthy-looking. Enlarged pores, acne, oily or dry skin, and roughness can all affect the appearance of your skin texture. A daily skin care routine can help improve your skin texture to create a smooth and even complexion.
11. Uneven Skin Tone & Dark Spots
Dark spots on the skin also called hyperpigmentation, occur when melanin, the pigment that gives our skin its color, is overproduced in the skin and is often caused by sun exposure, age, hormonal influences, and skin injuries or inflammation. Freckles, age spots, and melasma caused by pregnancy are common forms of hyperpigmentation.
Essential ingredients in the Obagi line of Products
Obagi Nuderm skin care has created a full spectrum of products to address every skin type and concern. The essential ingredients listed below are the backbone of the product line.
- A powerful mineral, Zinc Oxide is known for its sun-deflecting ability as well as its non-irritating and non-allergenic properties. Used in sunscreen, zinc oxide is often a preferred active ingredient because it provides physical, as opposed to chemical, broad-spectrum UVA, and UVB sun protection. Obagi uses zinc oxide as the sun-deflecting active ingredient in their Obagi Sun Shield Matte Broad Spectrum SPF 50 sunscreen, which provides protection from the sun with an elegant, matte finish for all skin types.
- Hydromanil is an ingredient derived from the tara seed and is known to be an innovative and potent moisturizer, which is why it is a key ingredient in both Obagi Hydrate® and Obagi Hydrate Luxe moisturizers. This advanced moisturizing ingredient captures and retains water and assimilates it into the skin in both an immediate and long-lasting way to enhance your skin’s appearance and texture.
- For years, Hydroquinone has been considered the gold standard for treating hyperpigmentation and is a key ingredient in the Obagi Nu-Derm® System. Hydroquinone works by blocking the process in the skin that leads to discoloration.
- L-Ascorbic Acid, the active form of topical Vitamin C, is known to support collagen synthesis. L-Ascorbic Acid is found in the Obagi’s Professional-C™ Serums which are a nice addition to the Obagi Nu-Derm® System.
- Benzoyl Peroxide is used to treat mild to moderate acne by unclogging pores and helping to reduce the amount of acne-causing bacteria.
- Plant-based Growth Factors have been shown to be effective in improving the appearance of aging skin and are the key ingredients in Obagi’s Gentle Rejuvenation System, designed specifically for those with sensitive skin.
- Tretinoin, a derivative of Vitamin A, is a prescription drug used to treat acne. Obagi’s Renova® Tretinoin Creams are used to reduce the appearance of fine facial wrinkles when used along with total skin care and sunlight avoidance program.
- Retinol, another derivative of Vitamin A, is used in cosmetic preparations to help minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, refine complexion, and smooth the appearance of skin texture with minimal irritation.
- The showcase ingredient in Obagi’s Professional-C Peptide Complex, Peptides, are naturally occurring chemical compounds that closely resemble protein. They occur in all living organisms and help support collagen growth, which is one key element to helping your skin to appear plump and firm.
Obagi Vitamin C
Obagi Vitamin C products infuse your skin with L-ascorbic acid. This is the only form of Obagi Vitamin C Serum suitable for topical application. The Obagi Vitamin C serums are designed to penetrate deep into your skin, providing effective antioxidant protection from UV damage as it brightens away hyperpigmentation and encourages the growth of new collagen and elastin fibers. The added hyaluronic acid binds moisture to your skin to prevent dryness. Vitamin C is considered the most important skin anti-oxidant for repair and rejuvenation of the skin.
Aestheticians and physicians love Obagi Vitamin C for:
- Aging Skin
- Sun Damage
- Free Radical Damage
- Helping minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Improve firmness and tone
- Calms inflammation
- Brightens skin
- Retains moisture
- Enhances UV protection
- Complements collagen synthesis
- Stabilizes Vitamin E
Ideal for Skin Types:
- Mature Skin
- Acne-Prone Skin
- Sensitive Skin
- Normal Skin
- Combination Skin
- Dry Skin
- Oily Skin
Obagi Vitamin C Serum ingredients include:
- Vitamin C
- Hyaluronic Acid
Obagi Elastiderm Eye Serum
Benefits of Obagi ELASTIderm Eye Cream & Serum include:
- Obagi Elastiderm Eye Cream products feature a combination of ingredients that restore dull, aging, and tired eyes.
- Malonic acid exfoliates dulling skin cells and fades sun damage.
- Bi-mineral complex tightens loose skin by restoring elasticity and building collagen.
- Blueberry extract to defend against damaging free radicals.
- Caffeine to help reduce under-eye puffiness.
- Combine with Retin-A for even more beneficial anti-aging effects including adding more collagen and elastin to the skin.
Results of Obagi ELastiderm Eye Cream
Obagi ELastiderm Eye Cream and serum have shown some amazing results when patients used it:
97% of patients showed improvement in the roughness/creepy texture of the skin around their eyes.
88% of patients showed improvement in the laxity/looseness of the skin around their eyes.
78% of patients considered the overall appearance of the skin around their eyes to be excellent, very good, or good.
Obagi Hydrate, Obagi Hydrate Luxe, and Obagi Hydrate Max
Obagi Hydrate, Obagi Hydrate Luxe, and Obagi Hydrate Max are medical grade moisturizers that provide instant, long-lasting hydration for younger, healthier skin. Using naturally-derived ingredients and the last technology these moisturizers provide up to 8 hours of hydration and protection to combat dry, rough, and aging skin. Obagi Hydrate, Obagi Hydrate Luxe, and Obagi Hydrate Max are hypoallergenic, non-irritating, and designed for a variety of skin types to help enhance skin smoothness and maintain optimum moisture throughout the day. They are excellent for the hands too!
Combine Obagi Keraphine for an exfoliation followed by hydration with Obagi Hydrate, Obagi Hydrate Luxe, and Obagi Hydrate Max to improve dry, wrinkled, damaged skin especially of the neck, elbows, knees, and back of the hands.
How Does Obagi Hydrate and Obagi Hydrate Luxe work?
Obagi hydrate is a lightweight, gentle formula that provides 8-hour moisture protection and rejuvenation.
2. Helps in Skin Repair
Obagi Hydrate and Obagi Hydrate Luxe are specifically designed for overnight, extra-strength skin moisturization and skin repair. It contains Chronoline which reduces the lines and wrinkles in mature skin and Kollaren which increases skin firmness and helps reduce skin fragility. Obagi Hydrate Luxe has a luxurious, balm-like texture and comforting scent.
3. Contains Hydromanil
Obagi Hydrate Facial Moisturizer contains innovative Hydromanil, which has been clinically proven to improve the moisture content of the skin. Hydromanil is a moisturizer naturally derived from tara seed and delivers a 2-in-1 moisturizing action:
- Reduces water loss and holds water on the surface of your skin
- Retains water and continuously releases active moisturizing compounds within the skin
4. Improves Moisture Content of Skin
Hydrate Facial Moisturizer is clinically proven to improve the moisture content of the skin and provide hydration for up to 8 hours.
According to a recent consumer survey, a majority of users reported improvements in the appearance of fine lines, firmness, skin texture, skin radiance, and hydration.
Obagi Keraphine Body Lotion
Obagi KeraPhine Body Lotion is a full body smoothing lotion which is designed and clinically proven to:
- Smooth skin by exfoliating dead skin cells from the top layer of skin
- Help smooth rough, dry, and bumpy skin especially on the neck, elbows, arms, knees, legs, and the back of the hands.
Clinically proven to be effective:
89% of patients felt their skin was smoother
92% of patients felt their skin was softer
92% of patients felt their skin was smoother
97% of patients felt their skin was softer
Clinical studies show that when Obagi KeraPhine Body Lotion is used daily, it will restore the skin to a more healthy, younger-looking skin.
Obagi Keraphine Before and After
Obagi Tinted Sunscreen
Why Obagi Sunscreen is Important?
Twenty percent of Americans, 1 in 5, will develop skin cancer in their lifetime. In addition to increasing your risk for skin cancer, not wearing sunscreen to protect your skin leads to sunburns, brown spots, sun spots, wrinkles and faster aging skin. The importance of wearing a sunblock every day cannot be underestimated.
How the Sun Damages the Skin?
The sun damages your skin through UVB, UVA, and Infrared Radiation:
UVB light penetrates the skin through the epidermis. It penetrates the skin less deep than UVA light. It is the primary cause of sunburns and contributes to photoaging. It plays a key role in the development of skin cancer.
UVA light penetrates the skin through the dermis. It penetrates the skin deeper than UVB light. It too plays a role in the development of skin cancer. It has a major role in accelerating photoaging and causing:
Blotchy Skin Color
Poor Skin Tone
Sallowness (a sickly yellowish or brownish color to your skin)
New research shows that Infrared Radiation penetrates deep into the subcutaneous layer, or fat layer of the skin. It penetrates far deeper than UVA and UVB light and thus causes greater damage to the skin. About half of all solar energy reaching the skin is IR radiation.
Benefits of Using Obagi Tinted Sunscreen
Obagi Tinted Sunscreen has developed one of the most technologically advanced sunscreens available today. Obagi Tint Sunshield not only provides broad-spectrum skin protection from damaging UVA and UVB rays, but it also incorporates defense against infrared (IR) radiation.
Obagi Sun Shield Tint protection:
- Thermic micro-shield crystals to disperse the heat at the skin surface.
- Helps buffer the skin from heat-derived oxidation.
- Helps the skin maintain resiliency against IR radiation.
Obagi Tinted Sunscreen contains:
Obagi Tint Sun Shield also includes:
- Zinc Oxide: soothes skin and blocks UVA/UVB rays
- Titanium Dioxide: a mineral sunblock that protects the skin from UV damage
- Algae Extract: hydrates and protects skin from irritation
- Vitamin E: prevents free-radical damage
Enhances skin tone and gives a natural glow
As an added bonus, Obagi Tint Sunshield is one of the only sunscreens available in Cool and Warm shades to enhance your skin tone and give you a natural glow.
Hypoallergenic and fragrance-free
It is hypoallergenic and fragrance-free and has been dermatologist tested for all skin types. It never leaves a white cast or greasy residue. Incorporate it into your daily morning ritual to stay protected.
Recommended by Skin Cancer Foundation
The Skin Cancer Foundation highly recommends Obagi Tinted Sunscreen as an effective broad-spectrum sunscreen.
Contact Us For Obagi Skin Care Products!
Dr. DeConti is proud to offer the Obagi Medical Skin Care line since 1994. It is an important part of the daily care of our patient’s skin helping them to transform, maintain, and reveal a younger, healthier-looking complexion.
To learn how Obagi Skin Care can help you look younger, call 804 673-8000, and schedule a facial rejuvenation consultation at DeConti Plastic Surgery today. Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about skincare and our Obagi Nu Derm, and Obagi product special promotions.
Join the Obagi Inner Circle
Become an Obagi insider and receive email updates with exclusive access to everything Obagi! You’ll be the first to know about new products, expert skin care tips and secrets.
Stay on Track for Beautiful, Healthy-Looking Skin
Are you new to the Nu-Derm System and excited to start your transformation? Join the New to Nu-Derm Program and partner with Obagi on your journey to beautiful, healthy-looking skin. By joining, you’ll receive timely information, inspiration, and encouragement every step of the way to help maximize your results.
Join New Derm Continuium
Continue Your Transformation With Nu-Derm Continuum
Once you’ve successfully completed the full Nu-Derm System, make the most of your skincare investment and help maintain your results with Nu-Derm Continuum, a personalized skincare maintenance plan that you develop with your skincare physician to help optimize your transformation and keep your skin looking its best.